Aiming for Boys
Learning to aim is an important skill. Both from a social acceptance perspective as well as from a hygiene point of view. It is important to reinforce this skill from the start.
Hints and Tips
- It is possible to purchase toilet training stickers for boy that are designed to stick inside the toilet bowl. This provides a visual target for them to aim at.
- If you don’t like the idea of having a sticker permanently on display, try using a single ‘Cheerio’ or other puffed breakfast cereal of a reasonable size. Place this in the bowl to act as a target, as this will flush away when he is finished.
- Make sure he directs his penis downwards, particularly first thing in the morning!
- Remember if your son isn’t tall, his legs may be too short to enable him to aim in a downward direction. In this case use a step.
Encourage your son to take responsibility from the start so if there are any near misses or little dribbles get him to wipe them up with toilet paper.
- The only foolproof method is to make him sit on the toilet to urinate.