Blood Borne Virus
Three blood borne viruses are the main cause for concern in Scotland, Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV), Hepatitis B and Hepatitis C.
There are no vaccines for Hepatitis C or HIV but there is an effective vaccine for Hepatitis B.
For more information visit
Key points for community pharmacy
- Signpost patients to appropriate support organisations.
- Prevent accidental transmission of disease by following Infection Control Guidelines in practice.
- Promote vaccination against Hepatitis B.
Some pharmacies may
- Offer support for dried blood spot testing for Hepatitis C and HIV.
- Dispense antiviral medicines for Hepatitis C.
- Provide ‘Injecting Equipment’ to prevent spread of disease.