This site uses cookies to store information on your computer. I'm fine with this Cookie information
Follow is on Twitter Like us on Facebook Follow us on Instagram

*UPDATED* Vaccine info, general info and guidance for public, NHSGGC staff, and community-based services.  Hospital visiting restrictions in place.

Eye Problems

If you have a problem with your eyes visit your local Optometrist (Optician).

· If your optician is closed please contact NHS 24 for advice (telephone 111).

· If you have an eye injury that requires immediate emergency treatment go to the nearest Accident and Emergency (A&E) Department. · If your eye problem requires treatment by an Eye Doctor (Ophthalmologist) your optometrist can refer you to your local hospital. Your GP and local A&E can also do this.

 · If this problem is urgent you may be referred to the new Glasgow Ophthalmology Acute Referral Centre (ARC) at Gartnavel General Hospital.

· If you are already attending an eye clinic and have an issue regarding your condition, make your consultant’s secretary at the hospital your first call.


Children with eye problems should attend their GP during working hours or contact NHS 24 if the GP surgery is closed. Eye emergencies or injuries should attend their local A&E department or the Royal Hospital for Sick Children (Yorkhill).

Last Updated: 06 February 2015