Refer to Us
We can accept referrals from health professionals within NHSGGC.
Information about how to refer can be found on the NHSGGC internal site.
Please check the inclusion/exclusion criteria before referring. If you have any questions about referring, please contact us.
Below is the inclusion and exclusion criteria for our service.
We can provide support to people with COPD
- During exacerbations
- On discharge from hospital
- To help improve their ability to manage their condition
Note: all must be met for input to be agreed
- Patient resides within the Glasgow City Health and Social Care Partnership area (i.e. council tax paid to Glasgow)
- Has a diagnosis of COPD and this is their primary health concern and reason for referral
- COPD significantly impacts their quality of life and limits their function
- Requires a specialist respiratory service
- Requires support in the home setting, i.e. not suitable for outpatient/ pulmonary rehabilitation Note: majority of CRT patients score 4 (i.e. stops for breath after 100m or few minutes on level ground) or 5 (i.e. too breathless to leave the house or breathless when dressing or undressing) on the MRC Breathlessness Scale.
- Over 16
- Patient is agreeable to input
Note: any one of these would prevent input
- Patient requires hospital admission due to severity of exacerbation e.g. unsatisfactory vital signs, acute confusion/ impaired conscious level, requires emergency oxygen or intravenous medication etc.
- Complicating co-morbidity requiring further hospital care or investigation – particularly cardiac disease
- Patient is more suitable for other community services e.g. post operative rehabilitation, conservative fracture management, hospice input etc.
- Patient refuses input
- Loneworker issues identified that would prevent home visits
- Inability to cope at home and does not have the necessary support in place