This site uses cookies to store information on your computer. I'm fine with this Cookie information

What can patients / public do?

What can patients, or the public do?

Address homophobic behaviour

If you overhear or witness homophobia from an NHSGGC staff member or another patient you should always take action.

The law says that you do not have to be lesbian, gay or bi-sexual to make a claim for discrimination. For instance, people are overheard making derogatory comments about gay men. This is unwanted behaviour on the part of the person who hears the conversation. A straight/heterosexual person hearing the conversation could take a case under the Equality Act 2010.

Homophobic hate crime is any criminal offence committed against a person or property that is motivated by an offender's hatred of someone because of their sexual orientation. If you believe you have been a victim, or witness to hate crime, there are several ways you can report this to the police. See the Strathclyde Police website.

Consider your own attitudes & behaviour

Homophobic attitudes are all around us in the media and we have all absorbed them to some extent. We can explore and consider our own attitudes by learning more. See the Equalities in Health web site.