Resilience is about staying positive and strong even when facing challenges.
Within NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde we have developed a Resilience and Wellbeing Toolkit and a more detailed Resilient Leadership module to help you understand what drives your own wellbeing at work and your role in relation to the well-being, resilience, engagement and performance of your teams.
All you need to know in 30 seconds
- You can help your team by spotting and dealing with burn-out and rust-out (not enough work, boredom, no challenge).
- Enable your team to keep engaged whilst being busy, and in control of their work.
- Focus on individual strengths, delivering services and a joint sense of purpose.
- Make your employees feel good about what they are doing.
All you need to know in detail
Resilience is all about maintaining your own high performance and a positive sense of wellbeing, even when facing difficult times, high pressured workloads or misfortune. As a manager you can help your team become more resilient and bounce back from problems by helping them avoid the issues associated with rust-out (not enough work, boredom, no challenge) and burn-out (too much work, pressure, stress). Try to help your team as a whole to maintain a balance in between rust-out and burn-out to keep them engaged, in control of their workloads and foster their own sense of purpose.
You can use the strengths of your team by:
- focusing on areas that are working well, develop clear team values and goals
- developing the strengths of your employees alongside any weak points
- fostering positivity, make your employees feel good when they are doing what they are good at to give them a sense of purpose
- ensuring your team know where they can get support, and help them to maintain a good work-life balance by promoting health and wellbeing activities/information.
- being flexible, adaptable and open to ideas and change
- identifying and spotlight employees in your team who are strong in one of the following - problem solving / decision making / interpersonal skills / motivation - variety will make your team stronger.