This site uses cookies to store information on your computer. I'm fine with this Cookie information
Follow is on Twitter Like us on Facebook Follow us on Instagram
COVID-19 (Coronavirus info)

Information and guidance for public, NHSGGC staff, and community-based services.  Hospital visiting restrictions now in place.

Brexit checklist

Visiting the EU


Travelling to the EU with your pet

If your pet or assistance dog does not have the proper documents, you will not be able to take it with you.  Contact your vet at least 1 month before travelling to make sure your pet or assistance dog is able to travel to the EU.


Check whether your mobile phone company has changed its mobile roaming charges before travelling to the EU

You may be charged for using your mobile device within the EU if your operator has reintroduced roaming charges.

More information: Visit Europe


Check if you need an International Driving Permit before you drive in the EU

You could get a fine or your vehicle could be seized if you drive without the correct documents.

More information: Driving in the EU.


Put a GB sticker on the back of your vehicle if it's registered in the UK, even if your number plate already shows GB with a Euro symbol

You could get a fine if you do not have a GB sticker when you need one.

More information: Driving in the EU - GB stickers and number plates


Before you travel, make sure you have a valid European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) or UK Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC), or travel insurance with health cover

You may not have access to free emergency medical treatment and could be charged for your healthcare if you do not have an EHIC or GHIC when visiting an EU country, or travel insurance when visiting Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein. If you have an EHIC it will still be valid while it remains in date.

More information: Check if you need a free Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC)


Check if you need to renew your passport before you travel to Europe

You should have at least 6 months left on your UK passport and it needs to be less than 10 years old, or you may not be able to travel.  The new rules do not apply when travelling to Ireland.

More information: Check a passport for travel to Europe


Check what you need to do to make sure you can travel through the border of the country you are visiting

You may not be allowed to enter some EU countries if you do not have an onward travel ticket, enough money for your stay, or a visa or permit.

More information: Visiting Europe


Check for disruption to your journey before you travel between the UK and the EU - border checks may take longer

If you do not allow enough time, you could miss your flight, train or ferry.

More information: Visit Europe


Check each country’s entry requirements if you want to spend more than 90 days in the EU

You may be refused entry if you do not have the correct visa or work permit.

More information: UK nationals visiting the EU



Living in the UK


Apply to the EU Settlement Scheme by 30 June 2021 to continue living in the UK - you must have arrived in the UK by 31 December 2020

If you do not apply to the scheme, you may not be able to continue living or working in the UK.

You do not need to apply if you have: indefinite leave to enter the UK, indefinite leave to remain in the UK, British or Irish citizenship (including ‘dual citizenship’).

Read the guidance: Apply to the EU Settlement Scheme (settled and pre-settled status)


Check if your benefits will be affected if you move to a country in the EU

Your right to receive some benefits will change.

More information: Benefits and pensions for UK nationals in the EU


Find out what your rights are to move between Ireland and the UK if you're an Irish or UK national

You can continue to live, work or study within the Common Travel Area.

More information: Common travel area: rights of UK and Irish citizens



Working in the UK


Check if you need to get your EU professional qualifications recognised in the UK

You will not be able to work in a regulated profession if your qualification from the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein is not recognised in the UK.

More information: Get your qualification from the EU recognised in the UK


Check where you need to pay social security contributions if you’re coming from the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein to work in the UK

You risk paying contributions in the wrong country and affecting your entitlement to benefits if you do not complete the correct form.

More information: Social security contributions for workers coming to the UK from the EEA


Proving your right to work in the UK to your employer

From 1st July, you may be asked to prove you have the right to live and work in the UK.  You can prove your right to work by sharing your details with your employer.

More information: Prove your right to work.



Return to: Brexit information for Managers and Staff.


Last Updated: 09 July 2021