We have started moving content to our new website at: www.nhsggc.scot
The Henry Brock Vale of Leven Cottage Hospital was opened in 1924 in Broomley House, the former home of its benefactor Henry Brock. A director of the United Turkey Red Company at Alexandria. He bequeathed £15,000 for the establishment of a cottage hospital in the Vale of Leven.
With the establishment of the NHS in 1948 and consequent growth in health care provision, a new, larger hospital was required. The hospital was opened in August, 1955 on endowment land of the Cottage Hospital. It was renamed The Vale of Leven District General Hospital.
In 1956 the Henry Brock Hospital became the geriatric long-stay unit and assessment centre for the chronic sick until a new geriatric unit was built to the south of the main building in 1977. The old house was demolished in 1978 to make way for a car park – this sat at the top of the rise to the immediate south-east of the main building.
In 1966 work began in the construction of a new Maternity Unit, a much more elevated block than the general hospital building, and situated between the latter and the Geriatric Unit. This was finally opened in 1971, taking over the work of Braeholm Maternity Hospital, Helensburgh, and Overtoun Maternity Hospital (Overtoun House), Dumbarton.
Over the years, extensions were built to the general hospital building, including a larger radiography unit. There were alterations too in NHS administration. From 1955 to 1974, the hospital came under the Western Regional Hospital Board.
In 1974, when the NHS was reorganised throughout the country, the Vale hospital came under the control of the Dumbarton District of the Argyll and Clyde Health Board.
This again changed in 2006 when the Vale hospital became part of the current administration - NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde.