The transfer to the Corporation
In 1929 the Local Government Act (Scotland) was passed, transferring poor law hospitals to local government.
Stobhill became part of Glasgow Corporation Health Department. The Department already managed Glasgow’s fever hospitals and ran services like mother and baby clinics and health visitor schemes.
The Corporation rationalized services. Children and old folk living at Stobhill were moved to more appropriate homes, freeing up 600 beds for the sick. Then work began turning Stobhill into a modern general hospital. Patients no longer had to declare themselves paupers.
In 1931 a much-needed maternity unit of 110 beds opened. In 1938 plans to upgrade Stobhill were made. They included adding 250 beds for sick children and building an out-patient department and accident and emergency block. These developments were postponed when war broke out in 1939.
The Second World War
The authorities thought Glasgow would be a target for bombing raids. Stobhill went on standby to receive air raid victims. However, ambulances from Stobhill had trouble reaching bombed areas like Clydebank and few Blitz casualties were treated at the hospital. Conscientious objectors, who refused to fight on moral grounds, worked at Stobhill during the war.
Some staff served with the armed forces. For example, Dr Archibald Aiton joined the navy, serving aboard HMS Martin. He died on 10 Nov 1942 when his ship was torpedoed in the Mediterranean.
The Labour Room, 1931.
The Clydebank Blitz.