On 5th July 1948 the Victoria Infirmary became part of the NHS and earned its place in the hearts of the local population as ‘The Vicky’.
The impact was dramatic. People who had not been able to afford healthcare now expected treatment. The workload soared.
For example, the number of specimens examined in the laboratories rose from 4,000 in 1941 to almost 50,000 in 1954, and there were almost 1,000 out-patients a day.
Working life at the Victoria was reorganised. Consultants now worked a full day at the hospital, seeing more patients than before. Three new surgical teams were created and other staff were recruited. At the same time, the hospital continued with pioneering work in fields such as urology and cardiology.
By 1955 facilities were at breaking point again. Re-development was agreed.
Phase one was a block containing laboratories, operating theatres etc, opened in 1961. Five years later an out-patient department and Accident Centre opened.
In 1972 the Victoria Geriatric Unit opened, the first of its kind in Scotland. This was later renamed the Mansionhouse Unit and was known locally as the “Langside Hilton”!
More recent developments include the Breast Care Unit (established in 1997) and Cardiac Rehabilitation Centre, opened in 1994 and paid for by the local community.
At the same time the nature of medicine began to change rapidly with the development of new drugs, technology and surgical procedures.
Many illnesses that were previously life threatening can now be cured and patients need less time to recover.
These new developments, however, meant that the hospital needed specialist staff and up-to-date buildings.
The hospital closed its doors on 16 May 2015. New admissions stopped being taken in to A&E and Wards 12a and 14 at 8 am. The other wards were phased out in stages over the next week.
All inpatient and A&E Services were transferred to the Queen Elizabeth University Hospital in Govan, beside the old Southern General Hospital.
In August 2016, housing provider Sanctuary Group took over the 9.5 acre site.