SESSION 4 For S1 Pupils
Starting a new habit takes time and dedication. It’s often helpful to enlist the support of peers. This session allows pupils to discuss their experiences during the screen-free challenge. Pupils will again be challenged to reduce their screen-based activities, but this time it’s with the goal of no more than 2 hours a day.
- Share their experiences during the screen-free challenge.
- Discuss what screen-free activities they did.
- Try to reduce their screen-based activities to no more than 2 hours a day over the next few days.
- Screen Time Tracking Form
- Screen-Free Things to Do
Activity Steps with Pupils
- Ask pupils to discuss the positive effects of spending just a little bit of time in front of the screen (TV, computer games, smart phones, tablets) mention impact on sleep, weight, physical health, diet and family time, instead of a lot of time in front of the screen.
- Ask pupils to describe their experiences during the screen-free challenge. Ask pupils to describe what types of screen-free activities they did during the screen-free challenge and what they thought of the activities. Tell pupils you applaud their efforts whether they were able to go totally screen-free or not.
- Ask pupils whether they think it will be easier to do no more than 2 hours of screen time a day since they have already tried to go totally screen-free for at least three days. (Note: It’s helpful to the young people if facilitators are positive and encouraging about this challenge.) Tell the young people that over the next few days, you are challenging them to spend no more than 2 hours in front of a screen each day and to instead do some more fun screen-free activities. Review the Screen-Free Things to Do list.
- Ask pupils to use the Screen Time Tracking Form to record their hours. Distribute new tracking forms. Encourage pupils to support each other in this latest challenge.
- Please check the calendar before setting the date for Session IV in order to allow enough time for pupils to track their screen time on two weekdays and one Saturday or Sunday. You’ll need from four to seven days before scheduling Session IV. Share the date you will meet for Session IV.
- Break pupils into groups and ask them to put together a real life drama of the impacts of too much screen time on either family or friends and then perform in front of the class.
- Remind pupils of the challenge to spend no more than 2 hours in front of the screen and to complete their tracking forms.