This introduction asks pupils to track the time they spend on screen-based activities before they know the overall goal of the project.
Activity Steps with Pupils
1. Tell the pupils that you have got an exciting project for them over the next few weeks. Tell them you are not going to give them the details of the project until later, but for now, they can begin the project by tracking their screen time, time they spend watching TV, surfing the internet, on social media and playing computer games. (Note to teacher: there is no need to provide further details on this project until you meet for Session 2).
2. Hand-out the Screen Time Tracking Form and Example. Review with pupils. Explain that you are asking them to track their screen-based activities (involving the TV, computer games, surfing the internet, social media, iPads, smart phones) on just three days. Two of those days will be on a weekday (Monday through Friday) and one of those days will be over the weekend (Saturday or Sunday).
3. Explain that as they track their screen-based activities, they should round up to the nearest half hour (e.g., 1-1/2 hours. See example). Tell them you would like them to fill the form out as they do a screen-based activity and that they can make tally marks on the form to track their screen time. At the end of the day, pupils can add up their tally marks to come up with their totals. Inform pupils they will not be judged on their hours of screen time. Note that it’s important to fill the form out honestly.
4. Go over the Tracking Form and Example with the class to show how to fill in the Daily Total Screen Time on Screen-Based Activities. Ask the pupils if they have any questions about their assignment.
5. Ask the pupils to return their completed forms on the date you will meet for Session 2, ideally 4-7 days after the introduction session. (Please check the calendar before setting the date for Session 2 in order to allow enough time for young people to track their screen time on two weekdays and one Saturday or Sunday).
6. Over the next few days, remind the pupils to complete their Screen Time Tracking Form.