Activity Steps with Pupils - Primary 1
Circle Time – Teacher Led
Discuss with class the benefits of using screens for learning and connecting with family and friends.
- Collect screen time tracking forms.
- Ask the question, “What do you like to do when you are not in school?”
- Screen/non-screen sorting activity: Ask the pupils what is a screen and non-screen activity?
- Teachers note - provide a sheet of pictures with screen/non-screen activities or use resources from classroom such as: smart board, computer, iPad, mobile phones & toys, books, colouring sheets etc or take class outside and explore non-screen activities which the children enjoy doing. Discuss with class their favourite activity.
- Ask the pupils: “Who likes to watch T.V, spend time on the computer, use iPad or play computer games?” Make a chart of the results from question 4 (picture form, tally chart, bar chart etc incorporating math skills).
- Ask the pupils: "What do you like to do when you are not in school & which does not involve T.V, computer, games or iPad?" Non-screen activities example: playing outside, going to the park, playing indoors, reading, drawing, riding bikes, playing with a ball etc spending time with family & friends without screens.
- Make a chart of the results from question 5 (picture form, tally chart, bar chart etc incorporating math skills). Please note the chart should have the pupils name next to activity or the pupils photo.
- Discuss what is good for health, for example: Exercise, physical activities, eating fruit and veg.
- Homework Task: Do 1 or more activities during the week that does not involve a screen e.g. play outside, go to the park, play a board game, draw a picture, paint or something of your choice. Write down what you did & bring to class.