Early Year Establishment
How to implement the Be Screen Smart project in your Early Year Establishment
Thank you for agreeing to participate in the “Be Screen Smart” project. There are many benefits to using screens/digital devices; academically, professionally and recreationally. Technology should be used in moderation, with support and interaction from adults and with age appropriate activities. It is important that children take part in a balance of different play activities e.g. explorative play, active/energetic play, functional/manipulative/creative play, social play and pretend play.
It is important to assist children, young people and their families to find the right balance, fun and engaging alternatives to screen time, opportunities to explore their own ideas and creations, enjoy each other’s company and take pleasure in the world around them.
To reach the best maximum results from the Be Screen Smart project your establishment could implement the following:
- As part of the Health & Wellbeing programme your establishment could take part in the Be Screen Smart project.
- The Be Screen Smart Project can run in establishments anytime or during the Screen Free Week in May. For exact dates and more information on Screen Free Week please click on the link: http://www.screenfree.org
- Introduce the Be Screen Smart project via parent workshops to inform parents that their child will be taking part in the Be Screen Smart project and that parental involvement & parental support is crucial.
- Send the Be Screen Smart flyer, pledge card & activity sheet home.
- As you embark on this project please note that an enthusiastic attitude will help pupils in their efforts to reduce the time they spend on screens for entertainment. If the staff also takes part in the project and reduces their entertainment screen time and shares their attempt to reduce entertainment screen time with the children this will help in encouraging pupils to do so too.
- Please also consider other ways your establishment can support this attempt.
Thank you for your commitment to improving the health of children in Glasgow.
North West Health Improvement Team
Nursery Be Screen Smart Pledge