Benefits of Reduced Screen Time
According to research there can be many benefits of reduced screen time.
Reducing screen time can help prevent childhood obesity.
Children who spend less time watching television in early years tend to:
- do better in school
- have a healthier diet
- be more physically active
- better able to engage in schoolwork when at secondary school
A pilot aimed at raising awareness on screen time with S1 pupils in the North West of Glasgow demonstrated that by raising awareness of screen time and encouraging pupils to reduce entertainment screen time can have positive results.
- Over 400 S1 pupils & 13 teachers took part in the pilot
- Over 300 pupils and 13 teachers evaluated the pilot
Feedback from teachers:
- “Pupils were forced to think about how often they participate in screen based activities, they were shocked!”
- “The students enjoyed having time away from PowerPoint presentations and computers. Engagement in the classroom improved.”
- “Pupils were really engaged with the issue.”
- “It captured pupil’s imagination.”
- “Learned a lot. Very worthwhile, necessary project.”
- “A lot of good discussion came out of it. It was great to see them debating too and looking at it from both sides.”
Feedback from pupils:
- “I like this course, it made me realise how much time I spend on screens.”
- “This kind of helped me because I go outside more.”
- “I think this course has been good because it kind of made me determined to spend less time on screens and do other stuff.”
- “I think it’s a good idea for our health but it is difficult.”