Funding Call: Strength in Places Fund
Led by UK Research and Innovation, Strength in Places Fund (SIPF) is a new competitive funding scheme that takes a place-based approach to research and innovation funding, to support significant regional growth.
Objectives of the fund
The high level aims of the Strength in Places Fund are:
To support innovation-led relative regional growth by identifying and supporting areas of R&D strengths that are:
- driving clusters of businesses across a range of sizes that have potential to innovate, or to adopt new technologies;
- in order that those clusters will become nationally and internationally competitive.
- To enhance local collaborations involving research and innovation. Building on the underpinning regional economic impact role of universities, research institutes, Catapults and other R&I facilities (such as Innovation and Knowledge Centres - IKCs); and engaging those businesses at the forefront of delivering economic growth through innovation within the identified economic geography.
The specific objectives for the SIPF are:
- Funded activities contribute towards significant, relative regional economic growth – we define ‘relative’ economic growth as having a significant impact locally that closes the gap between that region and the best nationally.
- These activities must be in line with UKRI’s mission, where the focus is on supporting those businesses and research organisations at, or near to the frontier of the economy.
- Excellent research and high-quality innovation is completed, or underway as a result of funded proposals.
- Collaborations between local businesses, research organisations and local leadership are enhanced as a result of the funded proposals.
- The evidence base around the impact of locally targeted R&I spending in the UK is improved. This will be assessed from a programme-level perspective.
- Funded proposals deliver good value for money relative to the area being supported, and in terms of additionality
Further information is available here