The Blood Borne Virus Specialist Testing Service (BBV STS) in Glasgow is commissioned by National Services Scotland (NSS). It is located in the West of Scotland Specialist Virology Centre in Glasgow Royal Infirmary.
BBV STS provides a range of confirmatory and specialist tests for BBVs, including:
• HIV confirmation testing
• HIV avidity (i.e. recency) testing
• HIV subtyping, resistance and tropism testing
• HCV genotyping and resistance testing
• HDV diagnostic testing and monitoring
It also makes available epidemiological information to agencies and individuals as appropriate including Health Protection Scotland to enable monitoring and surveillance.
HIV Viral load
On Monday the 21st June the Virology laboratory will be changing the way HIV viral loads are tested. This new test is more sensitive and can detect down to a level of 20 copies/ml instead of the previous 40 copies/ml. If you have any queries please contact us at [email protected].
Note: For taking blood samples for HIV viral load.
• Blood required is EDTA (purple top tube). Ideally this should be a 9ml EDTA tube but if not available please send 2 smaller 4ml tubes.
• Please aim to get the sample to the WoSSVC as soon as possible. This may be via local laboratories that can send the sample on to WoSSVC. If the sample cannot be sent the same day then please store in the fridge overnight. Samples do not require to be spun but must arrive in the West of Scotland Virology lab within 24 hours of being taken as per the manufacturer’s instructions
• If you are requesting from outside NHSGGC Acute and a TrakCare form cannot be used for requesting the test then please use the generic virology form that can be found here.
For email enquires please use the following address: [email protected]
For telephone enquiries use: 0141 201 8722
The laboratories delivery address (08:45 - 17:00) is as follows:
West of Scotland Specialist Virology Centre,
Main Specimen Reception (Level 4),
New Lister Building,
Glasgow Royal Infirmary,
10-16 Alexandra Parade, Glasgow G31 2ER,
Individual staff contact details
Professor Rory Gunson
Dr Amanda Bradley-Stewart
Working hours are Monday to Friday 09:00 to 17:00.