CAUSE OF LEARNING DISABILITIES
There are thousands of different causes of learning disabilities.
Down syndrome is the single most common genetic cause of learning disabilities.
Specific causes of learning disabilities can have associated phenotypes including specific physical and mental ill-health e.g.
• Tuberous sclerosis and epilepsy
• Down syndrome and dementia and hypothyroidism
• Prader-Willi syndrome and affective psychosis
• Congenital rubella and sensory impairments
• Peri-natal trauma and impaired mobility