We have started moving content to our new website at: www.nhsggc.scot
• Risk of swallowing and feeding problems is higher, especially for people with profound learning and multiple physical disabilities, cerebral palsy, or certain specific syndromes e.g. Down syndrome, Rett syndrome.
• These are significant risk factors for choking and death.
• Indicators include regurgitation, cough, and recurrent chest infections.
• Multidisciplinary assessment of swallowing/feeding problems can reduce aspiration, respiratory infections, and dehydration.
• If suspected, refer for assessment, and/or seek advice/support from your local learning disabilities service, or the learning disabilities liaison team.