What does this service offer?
Cardiac rehabilitation is the process by which patients with cardiac disease, in partnership with a multidisciplinary team of health professionals, are encouraged and supported to achieve and maintain optimal physical and psychosocial health.
Cardiac rehabilitation is a self management programme to:
- Develop confidence and skills to change unhelpful lifestyle habits and improve coronary risk factor profile.
- Improve quality of life and return to work.
- Improve understanding of cardiac disease and managing symptoms appropriately.
Criteria for referral to Cardiac Rehabilitation
- Coronary heart disease patients with newly diagnosed angina.
- More than one unscheduled hospital admission in last 6 months with troponin negative acute corony syndrome.
Before referral ensure:
- No outstanding investigations/interventions.
- Patient has agreed to the referral.
Do not refer:
- Patients with new or worsening cardiac symptoms. These patients should be referred to General Cardiology or Rapid Access Chest Pain Clinics.
- Patients whose needs can be addessed by existing community services.
- Patients who are unwilling or unable to participate in treatment or rehabilitation.
- Patients who are successfully completed a cardiac rehabilitation programme within the past 2 years (unless they have has a new cardiac event).
How to refer:
Via SCI Gateway. Please include brief reason(s) for the referral - eg cardiac misconceptions, supervised exercise training, dietary assessment, healthy eating advice, psychological support
Patients will be sent a leaflet with details of our service and how to opt in to their local Cardiac Rehabilitation programme. Please who fail to respond within 2 weeks will be discharged.
CARDIAC REHABILITATION DEPARTMENTS – CONTACT NUMBERS
If you wish to discuss referral further, please contact your nearest Cardiac Rehabilitation Programme for advice.
- Glasgow Royal Infirmary, Phone 0141 201 6678
- Inverclyde Hospial, Phone 01475 504 484
- Royal Alexandra Hospial, Phone 0141 314 6852
- Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Phone 0141 451 6134
- Stobhill Hospital, Phone 0141 355 1020
- Vale of Leven Hospital, Phone 01389 817408
- Victoria Hospial, Phone 0141 347 8111
- West Glasgow Ambulatory/Gartnavel General 0141 201 0815