What does this service offer?
Cardiac rehabilitation is the process by which patients with cardiac disease, in partnership with a multidisciplinary team of health professionals, are encouraged and supported to achieve and maintain optimal physical and psychosocial health.
Cardiac rehabilitation is a self management programme to:
- Develop confidence and skills to change unhelpful lifestyle habits and improve coronary risk factor profile.
- Improve quality of life and return to work.
- Improve understanding of cardiac disease and managing symptoms appropriately.
Criteria for referral to Cardiac Rehabilitation
- Coronary heart disease patients with newly diagnosed angina.
- More than one unscheduled hospital admission in last 6 months with troponin negative acute corony syndrome.
Before referral ensure:
- No outstanding investigations/interventions.
- Patient has agreed to the referral.
Do not refer:
- Patients with new or worsening cardiac symptoms. These patients should be referred to General Cardiology or Rapid Access Chest Pain Clinics.
- Patients whose needs can be addessed by existing community services.
- Patients who are unwilling or unable to participate in treatment or rehabilitation.
- Patients who are successfully completed a cardiac rehabilitation programme within the past 2 years (unless they have has a new cardiac event).
How to refer:
Via SCI Gateway. Please include brief reason(s) for the referral - eg cardiac misconceptions, supervised exercise training, dietary assessment, healthy eating advice, psychological support
Patients will be sent a leaflet with details of our service and how to opt in to their local Cardiac Rehabilitation programme. Please who fail to respond within 2 weeks will be discharged.
CARDIAC REHABILITATION DEPARTMENTS – CONTACT NUMBERS
If you wish to discuss referral further, please contact your nearest Cardiac Rehabilitation Programme for advice.
Glasgow Royal Infirmary, Phone 0141 211 4009
Inverclyde Hospial, Phone 01475 504 484
Royal Alexandra Hospial, Phone 0141 314 6852
Southern General Hospital, Phone 0141 201 1177
Stobhill Hospital, Phone 0141 355 1020
Vale of Leven Hospital, Phone 0141 347 8110
Victoria Hospial, Phone 0141 347 8110
Western Infirmary/Gartnavel General, Phone 0141 211 2817