To mark the NHS’ 65th birthday NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde has launched a dedicated web portal to celebrate all that has been achieved over the five years since the NHS Diamond Anniversary in 2008.
Highlights on the portal include:
• The opening of the New Victoria and Stobhill Hospitals at a cost of £100 million each.
• The “topping out” out of the New South Glasgow Hospital campus this month marking the completion of the structural frame of the £842 million new children and adult hospitals.
• The opening of three new state-of-the-art modern health centres in Renfrew and Barrhead with the latest, the Vale Centre for Health and Care due to open next month at a cost of almost £60 million..
• The opening of the new £90million state-of-the-art laboratory at the New South Glasgow Hospitals site, delivered on time and on budget, it is one of the most modern and efficient labs in the UK.
• The opening of the new Pharmacy Distribution Centre, one of the largest and most advanced in Europe, has revolutionised the distribution of medicines to hospital and healthcare facilities in Greater Glasgow and Clyde.
• A multi-million investment in catering services sees two new super kitchens open at Inverclyde Royal Hospital and the Royal Alexandra Hospital.
NHSGGC chairman Andrew Robertson said: "The last five years have seen a wide range of improvements in how we deliver services for our patients. These improvements have only been made possible through the commitment and professionalism of all our staff responding to new ways of working often from different locations.”
The web portal at www.nhsggc.org.uk/anniversary also features a timeline from the very beginning of the NHS in 1948 charting how the NHS has changed - nowhere more so that in NHSGGC where we continue to evolve how we deliver healthcare to an ever changing population.
People using the site can take a look back at all we celebrated during the 60th anniversary and track the full range of developments over the last five years with a slideshow of some of our most memorable milestones and key moments.
Over the last five years right across NHSGGC there has been a revolution in healthcare with new hospitals and health centres opening their doors to patients, new hospitals and health centres halfway through being completed and plans being finalised for more new healthcare facilities.
NHSGGC is organising a number of events for patients and staff to celebrate NHS65 including a number of 1948 themed parties in our elderly care wards. The Langlands Building at The Southern General Hospital is decorating its day rooms in 1940/50s style and there will be music from the time.
The Mansionhouse Unit on the Southside of Glasgow is also organising a number of events including a party and an exhibition of “Nursing through the decades display” with nursing uniforms from across the years available to view in the entrance of the unit.
Find out more on the 65th anniversary portal on our website www.nhsggc.org.uk/anniversary
For more information contact the press office, tel: 0141 201 4429 or email: [email protected]