The University of Glasgow has completed the transfer of ownership of the last part of the Western Infirmary site resulting in the entire fourteen acres now being owned by the University.
It was confirmed in February 2013 that the purchase of the bulk of the site currently occupied by the Western Infirmary in an area bounded by Dumbarton Road, Church Street and University Avenue had been agreed with NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde
The Western Infirmary will continue to operate until 2015.
Ann Allen, Director of Estates and Buildings at the University of Glasgow said “This is tremendous news for the University and will allow us to maximize the redevelopment of the Western Site. We will now press ahead with the engagement strategy to inform how we redevelop the site. We have been hugely encouraged by the amount of interest from staff and people who live in the west end of Glasgow on what might emerge from our consultations to date. That process will now continue.”
Robert Calderwood, Chief Executive, NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde, added: “In 1878 the University transferred the land to the former Hospital Authority to construct the original Western Infirmary. The terms of that deal stipulated that should the site no longer be required for healthcare purposes, the University should be given the opportunity to re-acquire it.
“The Western Infirmary is to close when the new South Glasgow Hospital opens in 2015 and we are delighted that the site has went to the University for educational purposes.”
As well as engagement with staff, students and local residents, discussions will take place with Glasgow City Council, the Scottish Government and other key stakeholders.
The University of Glasgow was assisted in the transfer by solicitors Dundas and Wilson and property consultants Ryden.
Further information on the proposed development, along with details of public engagement and consultation events, can be found on the website www.gla.ac.uk/campusdevelopment