An older people’s mental health ward in a standalone unit on the grounds of the RAH in Paisley is not admitting new patients after a higher than anticipated incidence of Group A streptococcal cases.
Sadly a 92 year old female patient from the ward, with other serious underlying health conditions, has passed away as a result of the infection.
There are two further confirmed cases, one of whom (73 year old male) has since been successfully treated and discharged and a second ( 83 year old female) who remains on the ward in isolation and is responding well to treatment.
Dr Linda Bagrade, NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde Infection Control Doctor and Chair of the Outbreak Control Team, said: “We would like to extend our deepest sympathies to the family of the patient who has sadly passed away.
“Group A strep is a bacteria that is commonly found on the skin or in the nose and throat. However because people can have Group A strep without even knowing it or suffering from any ill effects we are screening all the patients on the ward as a precaution to test for the presence of the bacteria.
“As soon as we became aware of an increased number of cases the ward was closed and all the appropriate infection control measures are in place to limit the spread of infection.”
Notes to Editor
What are Group A streptococcal (GAS) infections?
Group A streptococcal (GAS) infections are caused by Streptococcus pyogenes, a bacterium that is commonly found on the skin or in the upper respiratory tract (nose and throat).Group A streptococcal infection ( GAS) is involved in a range of conditions from asymptomatic carriage through mild sore throat ( Strep Throat) to more serious invasive infections such as bacteraemia (an infection of the bloodstream).
For further information either telephone 0141 201 4429 or email [email protected] .