Pharmacists play an important part in providing information and advice about substances liable to misuse controlling the availability of medicines, and the associated risks and in providing harm reduction programmes e.g. methadone and the supply of injection equipment.
For more information visit
- A map of pharmacies offering Injecting Equipment Supplies is available from Glasgow Addictions Services on 0141 276 6600
Key points for community pharmacy
- Give advice on wound care and management, safer injecting practices and remind clients of the importance of safe disposal of syringes.
- Know which pharmacies are ‘Injecting Equipment Providers’
- Be able to sign post clients to other services as necessary.
- Know how to deal with needle stick injuries