Approximately 1 in 8 men and 1 in 24 women have some degree of alcohol dependence. Excess drinking puts long term health at significant risk. Excessive alcohol consumption is associated with an increased risk of a range of illnesses that collectively contribute to a massive impact on morbidity and mortality.
For more information visit
- Alcohol Learning Centre Provides more detailed information on alcohol misuse.
- Drinkaware A Charity promoting responsible drinking.
- Alcohol Focus Scotland - is the national charity working to reduce alcohol harm.
- DrinkSmarter A Scottish Government practical website with many handy tools, supporting healthier drinking habits.
- Glasgow Council on Alcohol (GCA) Providing support, counselling, advice, information, group work and training for those affected by alcohol misuse.
- Alcohol Concern A charity campaigning for effective alcohol policy and improved services for people whose lives are affected by alcohol-related problems.
- Al-Anon Family Groups provide support to anyone whose life is, or has been, affected by someone else’s drinking, regardless of whether that person is still drinking or not.
Key points for community pharmacy
- Offer advice on sensible drinking
- Give advice on prescription and Over the Counter (OTC) medicines about interactions with alcohol.
- Signpost patients to local services offering support
- Further Information, Resources and Support (including "Alcohol Before, During and After Leaflet) Alcohol and Pregnancy Leaflet
Some pharmacies may
- Offer alcohol brief interventions using a FAST tool