Approximately 1 in 8 men and 1 in 24 women have some degree of alcohol dependence. Excess drinking puts long term health at significant risk. Excessive alcohol consumption is associated with an increased risk of a range of illnesses that collectively contribute to a massive impact on morbidity and mortality.
For more information visit
- Alcohol Learning Centre Provides more detailed information on alcohol misuse.
- Drinkaware A Charity promoting responsible drinking.
- Alcohol Focus Scotland - is the national charity working to reduce alcohol harm.
- DrinkSmarter A Scottish Government practical website with many handy tools, supporting healthier drinking habits.
- Glasgow Council on Alcohol (GCA) Providing support, counselling, advice, information, group work and training for those affected by alcohol misuse.
- Alcohol Concern A charity campaigning for effective alcohol policy and improved services for people whose lives are affected by alcohol-related problems.
Key points for community pharmacy
- Offer advice on sensible drinking
- Give advice on prescription and Over the Counter (OTC) medicines about interactions with alcohol.
- Signpost patients to local services offering support
Some pharmacies may
- Offer alcohol brief interventions using a FAST tool