We’re stubbing out smoking!
Changes to the Smokefree Policy were approved at the Board Meeting held on 19th April 2016. The updated policy will be available soon.
NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde is committed to providing a safe and healthy environment for all staff, patients and visitors. In line with this we have revised our Smokefree Policy to reflect our move towards smoke-free premises:
- Smoking is banned on NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde property, including all buildings, all vehicles and grounds.
- A clear message will be provided that smoking and the effects of second hand smoke (SHS) are a major cause of preventable ill health and should be discouraged.
- Staff must not smoke when on duty, including when on rest breaks, whilst on NHSGGC property or grounds.
- UPDATE: Use of E-cigarettes will be permitted for patients, visitors and staff with restrictions:
- E-cigarettes may be used in hospital grounds, but NOT within buildings and NOT around main entrances, fire exits and any other doorways.
- The type of e-cigarette permitted will be specified for inpatients (eg prefilled only).
- Guidance will be provided regarding safe charging of e-cigarettes (specific restrictions for charging will apply for Mental Health inpatients).
- Staff are prohibited from smoking when in uniform or identifiable members of NHS staff.
- From 26 March 2007, smoking was banned in all grounds, making NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde completely smokefree.
- From March 2008 mental health hospitals and units were permitted to have external smoking areas, subject to certain conditions laid out in previous Policy documents. The organisation now aims to have smokefree grounds at mental health hospitals and units by October 2015.
- All staff who smoke will be offered stop smoking information and support.
- All patients who smoke will be offered access to stop smoking support and inpatients experiencing acute nicotine withdrawal will be treated in a supportive manner and prescribed appropriate nicotine replacement therapy(NRT) medication where required.
Click the link below to download or view the policy.