Refer to Us
You can refer to our service by
Please check the inclusion/exclusion criteria before referring. If you have any questions about referring, please contact us.
Below is the inclusion and exclusion criteria for our service. The information is also in a document in the list in the side menu.
We can provide support to people with COPD
- During exacerbations
- On discharge from hospital
- To help improve their ability to manage their condition
Note: all must be met for input to be agreed
- Patient resides within the Glasgow City Health and Social Care Partnership area (i.e. council tax paid to Glasgow)
- Has a diagnosis of COPD and this is their primary health concern and reason for referral
- COPD significantly impacts their quality of life and limits their function
- Requires a specialist respiratory service
- Requires support in the home setting, i.e. not suitable for outpatient/ pulmonary rehabilitation Note: majority of CRT patients score 4 (i.e. stops for breath after 100m or few minutes on level ground) or 5 (i.e. too breathless to leave the house or breathless when dressing or undressing) on the MRC Breathlessness Scale.
- Over 16
- Patient is agreeable to input
Note: any one of these would prevent input
- Patient requires hospital admission due to severity of exacerbation e.g. unsatisfactory vital signs, acute confusion/ impaired conscious level, requires emergency oxygen or intravenous medication etc.
- Complicating co-morbidity requiring further hospital care or investigation – particularly cardiac disease
- Patient is more suitable for other community services e.g. post operative rehabilitation, conservative fracture management, hospice input etc.
- Patient refuses input
- Loneworker issues identified that would prevent home visits
- Inability to cope at home and does not have the necessary support in place