The Carers (Scotland) Act provides a legal framework for Local Authorities and the NHS to ensure those providing unpaid support to family and friends:
· Are Recognised for the role they provide
· Have access to information and advice
· Support needs are identified
· Are offered a support plan with local authorities preparing one if the offer is accepted
· Are provided with support by local authorities for their identified eligible support needs
· Are involved in discharge planning for the person they support.
The overall aim of the Act is for carers to be supported to continue to care, for as long as they choose, in better health and to have a life alongside caring.