If the request for secondment has been agreed, the approving manager will ensure that, prior to commencement of a secondment, the appropriate secondment agreement has been completed which will take into account the main following points:
• Clear reasons for the secondment.
• Clear agreement on the start and finish dates.
• If employee’s substantive role may be unavailable for their return, then this must be understood and agreed prior to the commencement of the secondment, or at the time of any subsequent proposed extension or at the time of organisational change.
• That the employee fully understands any terms and conditions implications.
• Training needs during and following a period of secondment.
• Arrangements for appraisal/PDP&R completion during the secondment.
• Relevant statutory requirements for maintenance of professional registration.
• Arrangements to keep in touch with the Secondee on a regular basis and to consult them on any proposed changes to their substantive post during the term of the secondment.
• Clear arrangements for return of the Secondee to their substantive post or a suitable alternative.
External secondment agreements can be more complex and therefore if required, managers should seek advice from their local People and Change Manager. Refer to contact list.
Secondment Template Letters