Women with an uncomplicated medical history and a healthy pregnancy can be cared for during labour and delivery at the Vale of Leven CMU by local midwives.
Research has shown that keeping birth natural and active results in less medical intervention.
This is achieved by:
- providing care in a relaxed, homely setting
- encouraging choice of a birth partner who will actively support you
- maintaining mobility and adopting alternative positions, with the support of birthing aids such as bean bags, birthing balls, the birthing pool and floor mats.
In terms of coping with your labour:
- midwives encourage and support you with breathing techniques and relaxation techniques.
- massage, hot packs and use of birthing pool have proven to be beneficial.
- Gas and air (Equanox) TENS and pethidine injections are also available if required.
- Aromatherapy is available.