The Appointed day
After the Second World War the government set about improving people’s quality of life. This included creating the National Health Service (NHS) to provide free
healthcare for everyone. Stobhill Hospital joined the NHS on the 5th of July 1948.
Thirty years of modernisation
With free healthcare, more people used hospitals. Stobhill, already struggling with inadequate facilities, had to modernise.
The groundbreaking Geriatric Unit opened in 1953. Then came a new Pharmacy (1961), a premature baby ward (1962), the Edwards Unit for Mothers and Babies (1963), a staff library (1964), the Clinical Teaching Centre and the Group Training School (1967) and a modern Pathology Department (1968). In the 1970s new
theatres and a postgraduate medical centre were added and wards were upgraded.
Two major developments were the introduction of accident and emergency treatment and the growth of out-patient care.
Stobhill has seen changes recently. Some services have transferred to other hospitals. New services include a Cardiac Rehabilitation Department (1986) and a Day Surgery Unit (1993). In 1984 the hospital began admitting heart attack patients straight to the Coronary Care Unit, cutting waiting time and saving lives.
Hospital care has changed as new drugs, technologies and surgical procedures are developed. Medicine today is sometimes complicated, requiring specialist staff and up-to-date facilities; it is also more effective. Patients spend less time in hospital and modern day surgery techniques mean that many can go straight home after
Princess Alexandra opening the Edward's Unit, 1963.