The early days
Dr William Core was the first Medical Superintendent. He had previously been Medical Officer at Barnhill Poorhouse. Three Assistant Medical Officers worked with him at Stobhill, serving a hospital containing 1,876 beds.
Dr Core carried out all the surgical operations. When he retired as Medical Superintendent in 1912 he was appointed Consultant Surgeon to the hospital instead.
The first specialists
In 1920 the hospital still only had five resident doctors. Then the Parish Council began to appoint specialist consultants, starting with Dr S Spence Meighan, an eye specialist, in 1921.
Other appointments followed, including Stobhill’s first female doctors. Healthcare for patients improved and the workload of the resident doctors lightened.
Competition for the new posts at Stobhill was fierce. Dr OH Mavor resorted to “low cunning” in 1925, when he, his friends and his relatives lobbied parish councillors until he was appointed.
By 1944 Stobhill had thirty-three resident doctors and twenty-five visiting consultants, working in thirteen departments. After Stobhill went into the NHS the number of doctors increased. The number of specialist departments in the hospital also grew as medicine became more advanced.
Endoscopy day surgery unit.
A new operating theatre, 1970.