Women with an uncomplicated medical history and a healthy pregnancy can be cared for during labour and delivery at the Inverclyde CMU by local midwives. Women expecting more than one baby will give birth at the Consultant-led maternity unit at the Royal Alexandria Hospital.
Research has shown that keeping birth normal results in less intervention.
This is achieved by:
- providing care in a relaxed, homely setting
- encouraging choice of a birth partner who will actively support you
- maintaining mobility and adopting alternative positions, with the support of birthing aids such as bean bags, birthing balls, our brand-new birthing pool and floor mats.
In terms of Pain Management:
- midwives encourage and support you with breathing techniques and relaxation.
- massage, hot packs and use of birthing pool have proven to be beneficial.
- entonox (gas and air) TENS and pethidine injections are also available if required.