The New Lister Building (formerly known as the University Tower) opened in January 2014 following a £15 million refurbishment. The state-of-the-art equipment, facilities and décor transformed the building for the staff and patients, and also includes two floors for University of Glasgow.
The new Lister Laboratory is named after Joseph Lister who is famous for his ground breaking work in the prevention of wound infection. He worked at GRI between 1861 and 1869 and his work during this time with carbolic acid changed the face of surgical procedures making it much safer for patients. In 1911 the pathological institute at GRI was renamed the Lister Laboratory in his honour and since then has continued his pioneering work.
Following the multi-million pound refurbishment the laboratory is continuing Lister’s tradition of pioneering clinical excellence. It provides a modern new home for Clinical Microbiology, the West of Scotland Specialist Virology Centre, relocated from Gartnavel General Hospital and the Scottish Microbiology Reference Laboratories (Glasgow) which relocated from the Stobhill campus.
NHS laboratory services are based on levels four and five of the building with University of Glasgow on levels two and three.
Level four hosts Clinical Microbiology which deals with approximately 400,000 specimens per annum requested by hospitals and GPs in the North of Glasgow.
Level five hosts West of Scotland Specialist Virology Centre and provides expert Virological testing in NHSGGC and on behalf of the West of Scotland. In addition on level five the Scottish Microbiology Reference Laboratories (Glasgow) provides nationwide analysis for MRSA, Salmonella, C-Diff and Legionella. Level five also houses a Pathology Hot Laboratory facility for theatre specimens.