Holistic Approach to Depression
This 5 week patient education course is for people who have a diagnosis of depression and who are looking of ways to support themselves holistically.
- Week 1- what is depression? - looks at the causes of depression, how we can positively influence those causes and introducing Mindfulness Meditation.
- Week - Patterns of depresssion, begins to explore the patterns that depression can take in someone’s life. Thought, emotion, physical response and behavior patterns associated with depression. Personality traits linked with depression and the role of the Inner Critic. Looking at life events and what to do if old issues are still alive
- Week 3 - Stepping outside depression, focuses on watching thoughts and their influence on our mood and teaching a STOP process to begin to create some choice in how we think. Also introducing Heartmath.
- Week 4 - caring for yourself with depression, looks at the role of diet and exercise in depression and how we can maximize their use. Also teaching Emotional Freedom Technique.
- Week 5 - How to get the most from Life. Using The Wheel of Life to check for areas of life that need some attention and expansion, and looking at emotionally intelligent communication.
The course runs for 2 and a half hours and participation and discussion of the material is encouraged, so the environment feels alive and supportive.