• We will speak to you about making arrangements for going home.
• A leaflet about being discharged (going home) is available from some wards.
• We will speak to you or your family about whether you need support at home, after leaving hospital.
• Nursing staff can let your relatives or friends know that you will be leaving hospital, so that you can arrange travel to get home, or you can do this yourself.
• Medical arrangements - if you are to be discharged on medication we will give you at least 7 days supply. We will also give you a letter for yourself and your GP detailing your prescription and other aspects of your treatment and discharge plan. Further details of your treatment will be sent to your GP.
• Some hospitals have discharge lounge areas which patients may wait in before they leave the hospital. This may be because they are awaiting transport or medication to take home with them.
If you need an outpatient appointment we will give you this before you go home, or send this in the post.