This site uses cookies to store information on your computer. I'm fine with this Cookie information

Adult A&E (age 16 and over)

From Saturday 30th May, residents in Greater Glasgow will be served by two major adult A&Es:

  • The Queen Elizabeth University Hospital Glasgow
  • Glasgow Royal Infirmary

If you live in Clyde, you will continue to be served by the A&Es at the Royal Alexandra Hospital in Paisley and Inverclyde Royal Hospital in Greenock. There are no changes to these services.

It is important that you only use an A&E Department for serious injuries and major emergencies. For everything else, there are local hospital-based Minor Injury Units, GP services (including out of hours via NHS24) and your local pharmacy.

If you think it is an emergency, phone 999.

For minor injuries such as cuts (including ones that need stitches), broken bones, sprains and minor burns, go to one of our locally based Minor Injury Units (see maps).

If it is a minor illness such as a stomach upset, cough or running a high temperature, then self-care, pharmacy or your GP is the answer. And don’t forget that if you become unwell and can’t wait until your GP or other local NHS service reopens, call NHS24 on 111 – they’ll advise you on what’s best to do.

NHS24 can also refer you to the GP out-of-hours service if you need to see a doctor before your surgery reopens.