Changes to Birthing Services in the Vale of Leven Community Maternity Unit
Following extensive public engagement and formal public consultation on this change which dates back to 2007 over three stages, this engagement process in 2016 is designed to provide all key stakeholders the opportunity to:
- Be informed of the proposal to retain all ante-natal and postnatal services at the Community Maternity Units with midwife led births in Royal Alexandra Hospital, Princess Royal Maternity Hospital and Queen Elizabeth University Hospital or at home. Under the proposal the birthing facilities in the Vale of Leven Hospital Community Maternity Unit would cease to operate.
- Be informed about the effort made since a previous decision was made to retain the Community Maternity Unit to positively publicise the service;
- Give their views about the proposal
The focus of the engagement will be on women who have or may use the Community Maternity Unit but the process will also enable the wider public/local communities to express their views. A dedicated Patient Experience, Public Involvement Manager, Laura Nixon, will be facilitating this engagement process.
A Stakeholder Reference Group will be set up to shape how we inform and engage and we would like to encourage women who have had a recent experience of using maternity services and organisations who have an interest in maternity services to be part of the group.
Laura, the Patient Experience Public Involvement Manager, will work together with the Stakeholder Reference Group to agree on the best ways to engage with those affected and local communities. Engagement activities between September and November 2016 will include:
- Drop in sessions at the Vale of Leven Community Maternity Unit to provide current patients with the opportunity to hear more about the proposal and give their views.
- Undertaking a patient experience survey of patients who have used the Vale of Leven Community Maternity Unit.
- Outreach sessions to include visiting soft play centres, mums and babies/toddler groups, parenting activity classes to meet with women who have used maternity services.
- Outreach activities to capture the views of the wider community.
- Local public engagement workshop to enable stakeholders to hear and explore the proposal. This workshop will include explaining the issues with the option of retaining the status quo and enabling stakeholders to challenge our appraisal of those issues
- Offer of presentations on the proposal to local voluntary organisations and charities that represent the interests of women using maternity services
You can also comment on the proposed change to Birthing Services at Vale of Leven Community Maternity Unit by emailing us at: [email protected] or call Laura directly on 0141 201 0369.
Further information and updates will continue to be added to this website, including information on up and coming engagement opportunities. If you would like to be added to a direct mailing list to be kept up to date then please contact Laura.
In the meantime, the background to the proposal is available in Board Paper 16/45 (overview and appendix).