Background to the CAS Approach
NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde, NHS Lanarkshire and NHS Ayrshire & Arran have brought together a time bound Steering Group to develop a Care Assurance System (CAS) to:
- Assess, monitor care and ensure a consistent approach is applied to care
- Provide clinical teams with clear expectations of the expected standard of care, whilst encouraging a team approach to service improvement reduce the duplication of audits, streamline the inspection process and fill gaps where identified
- A Literature review was undertaken to identify a suitable professional Nursing Assurance and Accreditation System that demonstrated impact and improvement consistently to patient care outcomes
- Agreement by the 3 Health boards was reached to work with the reviewed Salford Royal Hospital Trust in Manchester’s Nursing Accreditation Framework (NAAS) to develop a bespoke Scottish model
- The Executive Nurse Directors from the 3 Boards and a delegation of clinical staff have visited Salford Royal NHS Foundation Trust to further explore the model and experience the impact to care and service first hand
- In June 2014 an SCN/M and Lead Nurse/M engagement event took place to inform staff of the Salford Framework and to seek their input into developing our Standard Framework
- A further engagement event took place in November 2014 to check progress within each of the work streams across the three Boards and to share experiences
- All four phases within NHS GGC have commenced the development of their standards within the CAS Framework with testing commencing within the identified pilot sites early 2015
- The Adult Acute Service has completed their test phase and moved to introducing the Adult acute standards in July of 2015
- Since September 2015 Acute Service Sectors and Directorates have been progressing implementation of the care standards in a phased approach. Initially focussing standards implementation relating to Older Peoples Care.
Progress to full implementation will take time.
The Salford healthcare nursing accreditation and assurance system (NAAS) has been in place for 7 years and Salford's Annual report demonstrates consistent improvements over time.
For further information please see presentation here